This book is for a Virtual Public Program
In this lively collection of conversations - the third in a series from David Rubenstein - some of our nations’ greatest minds explore the inspiring story of America as a grand experiment in democracy, culture, innovation, and ideas.
- Jill Lepore on the promise of America
- Madeleine Albright on the American immigrant
- Ken Burns on war
- Henry Louis Gates Jr. on reconstruction
- Elaine Weiss on suffrage
- John Meacham on civil rights
- Walter Isaacson on innovation
- David McCullough on the Wright brothers
- John Barry on pandemics and public health
- Paul Simon and Wynton Marsalis on music
- Billie Jean King on sports
- Rita Moreno on film
Exploring the diverse make-up of our country’s DNA through interviews with Pulitzer Prize-winning historians, diplomats, music legends, and sports giants, The American Experiment captures the dynamic arc of a young country reinventing itself in real-time. Through these enlightening conversations, the American spirit comes alive, revealing the setbacks, suffering, invention, ingenuity, and social movements that continue to shape our vision of what America is - and what it can be.
by David M. Rubenstein